Apart from being a top destination for….
lazy sun baths
swimming in uncontaminated waters
all sorts of cocktails and nightclubs
… Mallorca is also a great destination for gourmands whether you eat out or simply buy local products to cook at home!
Here are a few of my culinary discoveries and memories.
Let’s start with food markets: ham, ham and more ham at Inca market!
Lovely yogurt ice cream with dark chocolate, nuts and strawberries:
Unmissable in Spain: tapas! Below: patatas bravas, spinach croquettes, meatballs at Cafetería Es Racó.
My home-made rice with fresh cream and seafood. Plus aubergine, cherry tomatoes, salt, olive oil, red chilli flakes, garlic, onion and a few tbsps of red wine:
And my fresh cream ( with red wine ) rice with vegetables ( aubergine, potato, red peppers and same as previous dish ) :
Piña colada at Christinas Treffpunkt restaurant in Can Pastilla ( Palma de Mallorca ):
Mojito galore at Anima Beach, in Palma de Mallorca:
Cold coffee with cream on a beach called Es Trenc, in Ses Salines :
My daily breakfast (alas!) during this holiday: napolitana con chocolate and an espresso ( no, I do not count calories when I am on holiday).
Here is a video tutorial on how to prepare this delicious pastry, but it looks quite complicate:
One more mouth watering surprise was a filo pastry wrap called hojaldre ( or empanada ) de espinacas y queso feta ( with feta cheese and spinach ). We ate it sitting at a bar located in the shopping area of Palma de Mallorca, on a break between shops. I have no pic of it because the trip from my hands to my stomach was far too quick Here an example from the web though:
Lastly, it’s worth mentioning a lovely “tapas” of theirs: Pimientos de Padrón Fritos , or Fried Padrón Peppers. I first tried it at La Payesita restaurant, where we went twice due to their great food and friendly staff:
They are incredibly easy to prepare and you can find the recipe in English here: http://spanishfood.about.com/od/vegetariantapasrecipes/r/friedpadronpeppers.htm
So, have I convinced you to visit Mallorca??? Surely I’ve convinced myself to go back soon
- Skinny Piña Colada: 229 Calories (fitnessvibes.wordpress.com)
- Hola! (explorecities.wordpress.com)
- Mallorca or Menorca – that is, when I learnt the difference… (travellingiscool.wordpress.com)
- An Amazing winter in Palma!!!:) (petrenaandtheglobe.wordpress.com)
- Mallorca- November 15-17, 2013 (emeride.wordpress.com)
- The Mallorca panorama (closetoeighty.wordpress.com)
- Balearic Islands (citizenoftheworldcra.wordpress.com)
- 9 One Week With my Mom in Mallorca (stefhan5.wordpress.com)
- Luxurious Palma, Majorca & Why I’m Spain’s Biggest Fan (diariesofawanderer.wordpress.com)
- Bread and Oil (foodsfromspain.wordpress.com)