Wash, slice and add salt to the aubergine. Leave it in a strainer for half an hour.
Remove the water and fry the aubergine ( eggplant ) slices in hot oil. Then place them on a dish covered with kitchen paper to absorb the ( olive ) oil.
In the meanwhile prepare a tomato sauce using canned tomatoes, salt and basil.
In a tray, pile up layers of aubergine slices and tomato sauce. Feel free to add mozzarella or Cheddar or Parmesan to each layer – or even cooked ham slices.
Grate some Parmesan or Grana Padano on the top layer. Some people substitute the cheese with breadcrumbs, but I recommend cheese ;-)
Cook it in the over for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and the sauce less liquid.
- Aubergine Parmigiana, for starters. (soulkitchenlove.wordpress.com)
- Parmigiana Pugliese… (kjbrad57.com)
- Parmigiana di Melanzane (teresalamaltesa.wordpress.com)
- Parmigiana alla melanzane (livefoodlovefood.wordpress.com)
- Holy Crap, eggplant parm/lasagna! (hotsauceandhighhopes.wordpress.com)
- Melanzane parmigiana (cheftoponkumer.wordpress.com)